Thursday, July 5, 2012

Choosing Wedding Colors

Some brides know exactly what colors they want for their wedding - sometimes even before they have the ring!


I was not one of those brides.

When it came to colors, I was all across the board. I liked the combination of greens and pinks for a garden wedding in May.





I loved the bright, fun summer hues like raspberry and tangerine with tropical flowers, perfect for a waterfront, beach themed wedding.

I wanted warm hues that screamed romance, champagnes and blushes. Roses everywhere.


I  loved the colors of autumn and the changing leaves. 














Most of all, I wanted colors that were classic and elegant, that I (hopefully) wouldn't look back on in ten or twenty years and cringe!

When my fiance and I finally narrowed down the season for the wedding- our favorite season, fall - I was excited to choose from a palette of autumn colors. But I got hung up on the idea that I needed a two-color scheme: one main color and a complementary color. Everyone I knew seemed to have two colors: My parents, who just celebrated their 27th wedding anniversary, had two colors: pink and gray. Fast forward 25 years and the tradition still held, my best friend whom I grew up with also had two colors in her wedding: navy blue and silver.

Even theknot.com wanted me to select two colors on my wedding page. I just couldn't narrow it down to two!

I fell in love with plum for the bridesmaids dresses. It's a beautiful fall color, elegant, and one that my fiance could agree on. I couldn't narrow it down to just one complementary color - so I didn't.

Plum is our main wedding color, the complimentary colors are the colors of fall: rustic red, sunflower yellow, burnt orange.

A color scheme doesn't have to be limited to two colors - use three, four or five - just don't overdo it. If you choose bold bright colors (like the aforementioned raspberry and tangerine) offset them with a cooler, neutral color like cream.

For me, the most important thing I did was pick colors that I like. I know that sounds obvious, but I'm surprised at how many brides choose colors based on the bridesmaids' preferences or their mothers' tastes. It's important to consider the opinions of those who are a part of your big day (including your future husband!) but don't let them bully you into choosing colors that just aren't you.

Now every time I see anything in plum - dresses, jewelry, clothing (and even things non-wedding related!) I get excited. And that's how I know I made a good decision. Ask me again in ten or twenty years and I hope I'll still feel the same!

1 comment:

  1. Pink color with white is looking awesome. I was looking for ideas on colors for my bridesmaid’s dresses and here I have got wonderful idea. It’s my wedding at event space Chicago and now I will select pink color dresses for my bridesmaids.

    ReplyDelete