Sunday, July 10, 2011

When it comes to wedding planning, how soon is too soon?

After six years together, my boyfriend proposed two days before Christmas.



We spent the next several weeks sharing the news (and showing off the ring!) I felt truly blessed by all the warmth and well wishes from our family and friends who threw us a surprise engagement party a few months later. 

I realized what a magical time it is to be an engaged couple and to finally get to call him my fiancé.
We celebrated that newly engaged feeling, holding on to that special moment and avoided diving right in to wedding plans. 

We’ve now officially been engaged for six months and we still haven’t booked a venue for our September 2012 wedding…  
Yet we have friends who were engaged only a week ago who are already talking dates and visiting venues.

So when it comes to wedding planning, how soon is too soon?

There are dozens of details to be figured out which is why most brides spend a year or more planning their weddings. So I thought we were ahead of the game when we started looking at venues nearly a year and a half in advance. But as I started doing my research (lots and lots of research…) I learned things were booking quickly and that’s when the pressure started to build.

Would I feel less stressed if we had started our planning sooner? Possibly. But I also wanted to enjoy a period of just being engaged without letting the stress of planning consume 18 months of our lives. 

Now the joy and stress of wedding planning will now only consume the next 15 months of our lives….

Planning a wedding is going to have its stressful moments. No matter how soon you start planning just don't forget to take time and enjoy the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment